Ever seen a Woodapple? It gets the name because of its hard ‘wooden’ shell. Inside is a brownish pulp with small white seeds. The pulp can be eaten raw but is usually scooped out and made into jam or a drink. It can also be mixed with coconut milk for a delicious, healthy smoothie or frozen into an ice cream.
Apples don’t grow naturally in tropical Sri Lanka, so we use woodapples instead!
The woodapple is a herb (botanical name – Limonia acidissima), also known as the Bael fruit, elephant apple, and the monkey fruit. It is considered a therapeutic herb-fruit because of its high nutrient content; vitamins(esp Vitamin C), minerals and organic compounds, including tannins, calcium, phosphorous, fiber, protein, and Iron.
The woodapple has been used in Ayurvedic remedies for centuries to :
Aid in digestion
Regulate blood sugar in diabetics
Relieve respiratory problems
Naturally heal the liver and kidney.
Since Kiwi’s love experiencing new flavors, and we are always on the lookout for simple, healthier, less processed, wholesome ingredients we can bring to you from Ceylon, we decided to combine our coconut nectar and wood apple pulp to make a tarty Woodapple and Coconut jam!.
It tastes great paired easily with bread and butter or as a chutney for savory roasted vegetables/ meats. Works well as a dipping sauce too. Adds a thumping dose of Vitamin C & dietary fiber in a smoothie!
Why is KOKONATI Organic Woodapple & Coconut Jam so good?
- Made from ripe handpicked woodapples & organic coconut nectar
- 100% organically produced
- Retains all the natural, authentic goodness of woodapples
- Only uses 2 natural organic ingredients – organic woodapple and organic coconut nectar.
- Tarty, Sweet and sour jam that is so versatile and can be used as a savory accompaniment too!
- Long shelf life – by protecting the pure, raw nature of the woodapple in grinding, and with coconut nectar acting as the preservative, KOKONATI woodapple & Coconut jam has a shelf life of 12 months
- NO refined sugar-NO concentrate -NO additives/ preservative
- Internationally accredited Control Union Certified – Organic EU and USDA NOP &HACCP standardized factories.
- Zero Eco-Impact on waste- all bi-products and waste material are utilized in the manufacture of other nature-friendly products
Only pure Ceylon woodapple & coconut nectar is used in the manufacture of KOKONATI products. Coconut trees grow in rich volcanic soil, contributing to the many nutritional benefits that come from eating coconuts that grow here absorbing these nutrients from the rich soils. Ceylon is a country blessed with naturally abundant Coconut trees – the tree of life
Organic Coconut Jams are the only multi-ingredient food products we make!
Organic • Gluten Free • 2 organic ingredients • Rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber
Jam or Chutney
Mix with chilled non-dairy milk for an easy smoothie ( amazing with liquid coconut milk)
Baking, filling, topping, grilling, dressing and so many more ways to use it.
all organic and so, so healthy and guilt-free!
Rich in Fibre giving a filled sensation
Slightly crunchy and nutty from ground woodapple seeds in the pulp.
Rich in vitamins and minerals due to coconut nectar content and….
Sinfully delicious and healthy at the same time!….so worth it.
EASY-AS smoothie recipe
Coconut Milk + Woodapple Jam = One Great ‘Healing’ Smoothie!
no chopping – no blending – no cleanup
Just mix together as much or as little as you want of the coconut milk* and woodapple jam – to suit your taste and shake together. Drop in some ice cubes and you are done!
* Remember to warm the coconut milk can, lightly in a hot water bath for 2-3 minutes to make it liquid before shaking up the smoothie and then add the ice cubes!