Coconut – Chia – Pistachio
These energy balls were so good, my husband even commented they tasted like Ferero Rochero! Made with healthy, raw, organic, low GI ingredients, nothing heavily porcessed or refined. My girls were also very happy with these in their lunch boxes..YAY for heathy, homemade treats that can winover teenagers!
- 2 tbsp [30ml] Kokonati Wild Kithul Treacle or Kokonati Coconut Nectar
- 2 tbsp [30ml] Kokonati Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp ground Cacao Raw Beans or cacao/ cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp [30ml] Kokonati Toasted Coconut Butter or Raw peanut butter
- 1 tsp Kokonati Vanilla Bean Powder
- 1 cup Kokonati Coconut Flour or 1 cup ground almonds or 1/2 cup of each mixed if preferred.
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 cup puffed rice
- 200 gr dark chocolate
Coating -optional- but looks pretty!
- Desiccated Coconut chopped pistachios/ cashes/ almonds, chia seeds
- Food processor
- Deep bowl to mix up the ingredients before shaping the energy balls
- Baking tray lined with baking paper that fits in your refrigerator
- Heatproof dish to melt the dark chocolate
- Deep square boxes with preferred coating ingredients to shake and roll the shaped energy balls
- Soak dates in boiling water for 5 -10 minutes
- Place drained dates in the food processor, add coconut flour ( or ground almond or mix) , ground cacao( or cocoa powder), coconut oil, treacle( or nectar), toasted coconut butter ( or peanut butter), chia seeds, vanilla bean powder.
- Blitz until smooth, scraping down sides until a thick mixture is formed.
- Gently stir through the cup of puffed rice
- With wet hands, take spoonfulls of mixture and roll into balls and place on the baking tray .
- Once all the mixture is rolled up, refrigerate the balls for an hour to firm up.
- Meanwhile melt the dark cooking chocolate and coconut oil together in a heatproof dish standing it over hot water or microwave for short bursts of 10-20 sec until the chocolate is melted and can be stirred into a smooth consistency ( do not heat for long periods at one go as chocolate gets denatured and splits)
- Using a skewer and toothpick pierce the refrigerated and cooled energy balls and place individually in the warm chocolate and oil mix .
- Then place the chocolate dipped balls in the coating boxes with preferred coating ingredient - coconut/ chopped buts / chia seeds together or separated
- Place coated balls back on the tray and refrigerate until chocolate is set
- Store in airtight container in the fridge for upto 1 week